divinebonghit: The Pioneer plaques are a pair of gold-anodized aluminium plaques which were placed on board the 1972 Pioneer 10 and 1973 Pioneer 11 spacecraft, featuring a pictorial message, in case either Pioneer 10 or 11 are intercepted by extraterrestrial life. The plaques show the nude figures of a human male and female along with several symbols that are designed to provide information about the origin of the spacecraft.
The symbols include:
- The hyperfine transition of neutral hydrogen, the most abundant element in the universe
- The relative position of the Sun to the center of the Galaxy and 14 pulsars with their periods denoted
- The Solar System with the trajectory of the Pioneer spacecraft
- Figures of a man and a woman
- The silhouette of the Pioneer spacecraft relative to the size of the humans
The Pioneer spacecraft were the first human-built objects to leave the Solar System.